Wednesday, September 23, 2009

scratch it off.


Who ever knew that scratching something with a pen could be so liberating.


I make tons of lists:
1. To-Do List
2. To Buy List
3. To Remember List
4. To Call List
5. To Make List
6. Homework List
(the list can go on and on)

When I moved away I discovered that OCD List Making Part of me. I constantly am thinking of new things to add to my lists. So if I don't have a piece of paper with me at all times, I will totally forget everything.
It's like one of those moments you are sitting in class and you remember, "Oh I need to buy some fruit when I go to the store." But of coarse you don't write it down, you go to Publix later that day, return back to your apartment, and realize at midnight that night, when those late night hunger cravings come, that you totally forgot to buy fruit at the store. So you are left sitting there, with an unfulfilled craving, wishing you had remembered to buy fruit. Then you slowly realize, if only you had written it down on a list then you would have remembered to buy fruit. It is like an instant moment of frustration at yourself because you are so disappointed that you could not remember something as simple as fruit.
So basically, writing lists helps you remember. You know, like that friends Birthday you completely forgot about until the night before and you realize that you totally forgot to get something so you are stuck there for multiple hours making a homemade card, but of coarse the first 5 times you attempt to make the card you aren't satisfied so that's a whole other kind of stress that you now bring upon yourself. The "Why am I not creative, or Why can't this look good?"

Making To-Do lists is one of my favorite things in the whole world. This is a whole process for me:
1. Write down all the things that need to be done
2. Prioritize these things
3. Organize by the date they are due or the amount of time that they need to be completed in
4. Start Doing.

I think that one of the most liberating feelings is scratching that thing off your list. You suffer from the stress of having things to do, but as you slowly get them done you can visually see how much you have accomplished, and release your stress by the simple crossing of the pen across the paper.

Lists can reduce stress and make your time more efficient. You get the important things done first, don't forget things, and you don't get stressed by a huge number of unimportant jobs.

Anyways this is basically a blog about list making which is kinda boring, but you know what oh well. I am just glad I can benefit from the stress relieving task of doing and scratching off.

If you are feeling overwhelmed with projects, schoolwork, work, life, things to do, I suggest trying to make a list. Let's not go overboard and make a list for everything but make a list for what is important. Experience the freeing feeling of getting stuff done.

No comments:

Post a Comment